Once again, the American Red Cross is encouraging the Gold Country Region to send holiday wishes to active military, their families and veterans in our local communities. The Holidays for Heroes campaign gives schools, organizations, companies and individuals an opportunity to honor and thank our servicemen and women by sending cards to heroes right here at home during the holiday season.
Please join us in sending holiday cheer to our local service members, using the following guidelines:
• Send or deliver cards to the American Red Cross Gold Country Office, 1565 Exposition Boulevard, Sacramento, CA 95815 by Dec. 2.
• Ensure that all cards are signed and include a short message.
• Write heartfelt sentiments, keeping messages positive and upbeat. Please remember, cards will be delivered locally, so do not include “come home safe” or “get well” messages.
• Make cards more meaningful to a wide variety of recipients by using “Dear Hero” or “Dear Service Member, Veteran, or Family.” Note: Cards addressed to specific individuals cannot be delivered through this program.
• If your organization is sending cards in bulk, do not place cards in envelope. They will be removed from envelopes before distribution.
• Do not give personal information, such as home or email addresses.
• Refrain from using glitter, as it could aggravate existing health issues of wounded, ill, or injured recipients.
• Do not include inserts of any kind; they will be removed during the sorting process.
For more information, contact Tobrin Hewitt, Service to the Armed Forces Coordinator at (916) 993-7015.
If you wish to provide financial support for Red Cross services to the military, please donate online by visiting RedCross.org.